Traineeships last from eight weeks to five months, and are not remunerated. There are two official traineeship sessions each year (beginning in March and September).
The Council of Europe encourages applications from any person who has the requisite qualifications, without distinction as to gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social background, skin colour, religion, convictions or sexual orientation. Specific measures may be taken to ensure equal opportunities for applicants with disabilities.
In order to be eligible for a traineeship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have the nationality of one of the Council of Europe member states;
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent (a diploma for the first cycle of higher education as defined in the Bologna Declaration).
- Have a desire to acquire practical experience and knowledge of the functioning and activities of the Council of Europe;
- Have a very good knowledge of one of the two Council of Europe official languages (English or French) together with good drafting ability. Good knowledge of the other official language is appreciated.
The typical responsibilities given to trainees include:
- research work;
- preparation of draft reports and studies for meetings of experts;
- drafting of meeting reports;
- assistance with work in hand;
- committee organisation;
- updating websites.
If you are of French or English mother tongue and wish to apply for a traineeship in translation you should email your CV and motivation letter to Traduction@coe.int. The duration of a traineeship in Translation is from three weeks to two months.
How to apply
- Use the on-line application system, ensuring that you submit by the due date. No other applications can be accepted.
- You must have an e-mail address to set up an account.
- Application forms must be completed in French or English (only). You can complete the form over several different occasions and then submit it once finalised.
Applications for traineeships are only open for specific periods, depending on the session you wish to apply for. Check the table below for the relevant dates. Completed traineeship applications must be submitted online by midnight (French time) of the deadline listed.
See more here.